Articles / Property News
Has your home been left out in the cold?
Homes are often overlooked when it comes to preparing for those harsh winter months
By: John Leonidou
Published: 2020-10-20 09:00:00
Category: Property News
You prepare yourself for winter by dusting down thick coats, hats and scarves
But are you preparing your home for winter too?
We’ve all had a pipe burst, drafty windows or unwanted visitors sneaking into your home to escape the cold bite of winter. That’s why it is so important to ensure that you’ve done proper home maintenance for the winter.
Neglecting some simple tasks, could wreak havoc on your home and could end up a very costly business to deal with afterwards.
That’s why it’s important to do everything you can to prevent these things happening.
Here are some great tips for preparing your home for winter:
- Make sure your gutters and drains are cleaned out - Debris such as fallen autumn leaves, branches, mud and litter can block the drains that can cause leaks.
- Make sure you have your boiler serviced regularly - The last thing you want is your home freezing cold during the winter. Don’t leave it chance. Get your boiler checked out.
- Keep your heating going - Ensure that you leave home on a constant low temperature when you’re away as opposed to switching off the heating. This will stop your pipes from freezing.
- Make sure your windows are ready - A sudden drop in temperature as well as constant rain or snow can cause a lot of problems to untreated wood. Fill in any cracks if they’re looking a bit worn out.
- Coat your pipes - Adding lagging to pipes that are exposed to the cold weather will prevent them from freezing or bursting.